Saturday 23 April 2011

I'm fed up with the Royal wedding

There is still almost a week to go and already I am sick to death of the Royal wedding. Whenever you put the TV on there is nothing on but some sychophant warbling on about some aspect of the jamboree. As for the newspapers? If one more does a supplement covering the subject I swear I will scream until I am sick - and I can. I don’t really care if Will and Kate get married, or if they choose to live together on a barge in Coventry. What I do care about is the fact that the entire event will cost the likes of you and me £20m and, according to some reports, could exceed £50m!

‘Oh, don’t worry, the Queen and Prince Charlie will pay,’ I hear my critics exclaim. But hang on, who pays them? Courtesy of us bankrolling the royals for centuries, she has a personal wealth estimated at £290m – she could afford to pay for the entire thing and still have plenty left over – certainly a lot more than the 2.5m unemployed as a result of ‘fat cats’ getting too greedy.

Now let’s stay with the unemployed for a moment if we can. It costs the taxpayer £10.1m each day to pay every unemployed person Jobseeker’s Allowance. Following logically, if this country were a republic, we could have pretty much had a free Easter break as the savings on the Royal wedding would have paid for almost 5 days of benefit.

The whole thing is just an opportunity to mount another jingoistic campaign and have the bunting out and wave the Union flag. Well let me be clear, I have nothing against parties. Indeed I actually like them and the idea of getting communities together to celebrate together sounds good to me. But I cannot see what there is to celebrate about a Royal who has had a very privileged background marry the daughter of a highly successful millionaire.

Needless to say on the day I will not watch the wedding, I won’t eat a slice of cake off a “Will and Kate” plate and I won’t toast the bride and groom. In fact, with their wealth I hardly think I need even bother wishing them well. After all, they have a far better start that the average young couple of their age.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics