Wednesday 9 March 2011

All in a name

Earlier today I was feeling a little bored, so thought I would search for a short course to stimulate my mind. Imagine my shock when I discovered a local WEA run a free course entitled “Chase interesting women”. It rather left me wondering what goes on behind the closed doors of those classrooms. Perhaps they have small groups of drooling old men in jogging pants and plimsolls, ready for the off as soon as the tutor gives the order.

It rather left me wondering about courses available in other parts of the world. In Oregon, one of the local colleges might be running to inform local residents about local public conveniences, entitled “Flushing toilets”. Or perhaps local criminoligists might enjoy a course on the history of local homicide in a town in Idaho – “Murder in Hellhole”.

In Tennessee they may well be teaching woodwork to locals, though how many would apply for a course called “Dismal carpentry” remains to be seen.

I don’t know about readers, but I’m not sure I would want to enrol on a “History of Fascism” in Swastika. Or come to that, who would be happy learning to swim at the Ogle swimming pool? If you think that’s bad, how many students enrol on courses in Boring College, Oregon?

But its not just in the United States that weird names abound. I guess the Effin football team won’t be expecting too many supporters to turn up to their next match. If you think that’s bad, then feel for those poor villagers who have to face all the comments when they tell people they live in Piddle. I guess it explains the funny smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics